It Takes Time

Helping students make a better choice and avoid for-profit schools like ITT-Tech, Devry, and University of Phoenix

My ITT Tech Experience

Seen someone feeling "Confident about their future"? Rant about it! You can also share your thoughts about ITT here.

My ITT Tech Experience

Postby verbillion91 » January 30th, 2010, 5:33 pm

the following is a letter i was asked to write to the Academic Director after spending several weeks having to literally teach my classes because out teacher was an incompetent boob... Also ITT "PRIDES" itself with their ability to work with the student. this is an example of them lying through their teeth. this one teacher was the sole reason for 5 students in my class alone to withdraw from ITT. im glad i realized how ITT works and how little they truly care about their students before i was too far into debt. also i would like to note that at LEAST 80% of the people attending the Dayton campus have NO BUSINESS being in school. many are "gangsters" and a few students were actually murdered in gang violence. yea guys a tech company is going to hire you when you talk all ghetto 24/7 and are covered in shitty jail tats neck to knuckles...

To whom it may concern:

at the beginning of this quarter i began my classes and my IT103 class operating systems. unlike all my previous classes this teacher was brand new. i understand that teaching in a new environment can be difficult, but after 1 class period with this teacher i was ready to put my head thru a wall. that very day i spoke with my department chair and requested to be transferred to the morning class instead of the evening class i was already attending (the morning teacher was different)i was told to try again next week and it would get better.

the very next week class was just as bad if not worse. the teacher would read word for word from the book. for me and 1 or 2 other students this is fine because we are proficient with computers. on the other hand all the other students just stare at each other and wonder what she is talking about. in our normal classes we get about 1 10 minute break an hour, in this class were lucky to get more than 1 in 4 hours. when she issues homework she tells us to do it one way, we turn it in, then she says she wants it in a different format and we are graded down for it. in labs we are told everything must be typed. half of us type it all out and then after we are done she tells us we could have copy and pasted instead of typing it all out... when students ask questions she skirts around the question and doesn't really explain anything. after this second class i went directly to my department chair and requested to be transferred. i was told that that was OK and
he would speak with me later that week. upon leaving his office i noticed that my entire class was lined up outside wishing to be transferred as well. the next 2 weeks were our Christmas break.

upon returning to school i showed up for the IT103 AM class because i was told that i was OK to transfer. after 3 hours of class i was pulled into the dean's office accompanied by my department chair. i was told that i was not allowed to transfer and that i needed to stay in that class because "my knowledge can help my classmates understand the material, and i can help the labs run more smoothly." i was also told that the department chair will be sitting in on the class from now on, and that i needed to just stay in that class. (funny side note had i NOT been truthful with them and said it was a work conflict i would have been transferred no questions asked. i am being punished for my honesty) at this time understandably i was unhappy. especially after initially being told that i could transfer.

the following week i arrived to my class and my chair was not in the class like he stated to me the week before. from 6 until i left at 10 my teacher was incapable teaching us anything. she consistently asked ME questions about the operating system we were learning about. when we got to the lab it was no better. i was forced to finish my lab a.s.a.p. and then walk from student to student and answer questions and help with problems in the lab. when someone asked our teacher a question she directed them to me. at our first 10 minute break i ran into some of the financial aid department in the smoke tent. i asked them what i would have to do to not give ITT any more of my money. they asked me what was up and i explained my situation to them. later one of the FA people stopped in my lab and saw for themselves my teacher sitting there clueless and me showing my classmates how to do the lab.

the next day i was directed to speak with the Director Mr. Johnston. i explained my situation to him as well. my main concerns are as follows.

1. i am a student. ITT is not paying me to teach my classmates, as i am not a teacher. i am paying ITT to (hopefully) teach me something. forcing me to stay in a class to help the teacher more than anything is fiscally irresponsible, and disrespectful of me.

2. for the amount of money students have to pay to attend ITT dont you think that the chair or at least the Dean would be on the side of the students? they may ignore me now but when half of my class fails because my teacher cannot relate information to us, perhaps they will see that it was not just ONE person with an issue.

3. for half of the price i pay to attend ITT i could just as easily attend a different school in this area. true ITT has a "good" % of graduates, but as all the staff are aware i am not your normal Dayton area student. even conveying to the staff that unless they tried to meet me half way this would be my last quarter of ITT they didn't bat an eyelash.

4. the amount of paper wasted in this class is enough to make me want to cry. i am no "hippy" but i do care about waste. when the teacher is given power point slides to help teach, and they are printed out for each student, each class period (several hundred pages) then we don't even use the slides and they recite from the book word for word, why do we even have a teacher? hand us a book, and give us a test in 3 months. saves you money and us time and effort. we even asked if we could get digital copies of the slides to help reduce all the needless waste we were told flat out "NO" and that it takes to much effort for the teacher to do that for us. (our previous teachers had no problem at all doing hat for us, in fact they encouraged it)

in summation i would like to stay with ITT i do like it here. i moved from Alaska to Ohio JUST to attend school here. but with the way i am being treated i do not see myself remaining here.i know that my credits will not transfer and i will have effectively wasted 6 months of my life, but perhaps other schools care about their students opinions, concerns, and issues. i didn't come here to regurgitate our course material to other student so that they can understand it because our teacher cannot, i did not come here to "lead" my classmates. i came here to learn.

to anyone reading this: thank you for your time,
Name Withheld
verbillion91

ITT Campus: OH - Dayton
Still attending: No

Advertisement

Re: My ITT Tech Experience

Postby admin » January 30th, 2010, 9:08 pm

I would just leave, ITT Tech isn't a school that respects academic standards, they do everything that can to make sure a student graduates, not because they care, but because they get more government money if they do. Your wasting your time attending, and worse your money. I cannot fathom why you would move from Alaska just to attend ITT Tech. You might be lucky and have some credits transfer, however it's a slim chance and it would only be for general education classes. I would honestly withdrawal asap so at least your loan size doesn't grow. Then you can enroll in a community college and continue your degree, your loans are not due until 6 months after you left school, so if your enrolled in a community college, you will be fine.

Your not happy with ITT Tech and you already realized many of the problems with the "school", it's time to get out before you find yourself $46,000 in debt and climbing with nothing to show for it, the ITT Tech Degree and other For-Profit degree's are simply not respected.
admin
Administrator

ITT Campus: AZ - Phoenix (Tempe)

Postby verbillion91 » January 31st, 2010, 4:02 am

i withdrew friday. after 4 weeks of teaching one of the classes i was in i just couldnt take it anymore. im lucky i realized the scam soon. before i left i was able to get several more students to withdraw and go to school elsewhere. im probably just going to get a couple of jobs this summer and pay off my 9000 in loans a.s.a.p. then start at a real school this next fall. i just feel sorry for all the poor bastards that are stuck there thinking they have no other options.
verbillion91

ITT Campus: OH - Dayton

Postby cstambaugh777 » February 5th, 2010, 8:43 pm

im having A similar experience in canton, mi. my class is the first criminal justice program. were expected to do these labs when the software doesnt work. in addition many of the sites we are given to research for an assignment are not accessable.
cstambaugh777

ITT Campus: MI - Canton (SW Detroit)
Still attending: Yes

Postby downwardspiral » March 22nd, 2010, 8:46 pm

My ITT Timeline:

November 1998: Graduated for ITT Tech with an associates in EET and a GPA of 3.9/4.0 (wow, you must be thinking that I am the CEO of a major corporation by now, well not exactly.)

April 1999: Filed tax return with a gross income (before deductions) of about 22,000 dollars, about 10,000 dollars less than I made 1995 before matriculating to ITT. But that is ok because now I had the education for "the jobs of tommorow." All I have to do is wait until tommorow and things will be great.

February 2001: Laid-off from job unrelated to my educational background (took this job after a year and a half of being unable to find a position related to my educational background."

March 2002: Became even more determind to capatalize on my hard earned degree. Pounded the pavement, sent out hundreds of resumes with spectacular cover letters. I graduated at the top of my class, there must be a great demand for me somewhere, right?

June 2002: With unemployment benifits running I decided to "temporarily" return to construction work and put my dream of a better life on the back burner.

July 2002 - November 2002: After being told repeatedly told that I was "over-qualified' for manual labor I finally landed a factory job making about a buck over minimum wage.

May 2003: Bankruptcy court.

2003 - 2010: Worked several different jobs through temp agencies as a hedge against starvation. Sent out many well crafted resumes and cover letters, mostly no response. Meanwhile student loans went into default.

Present: Over a decade latter I am still trying to find that "job of tommorow." I have had a few interviews over the years, but employers want to know why I don't have any exprerience. I can't seem to answer that question in any positive way.
But, I will never give up. How can I? I have student loans to pay.
Last edited by downwardspiral on March 23rd, 2010, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
downwardspiral

ITT Campus: IN - Fort Wayne

Postby aka name » March 27th, 2010, 9:00 am

downwardspiral wrote:...
Sorry to hear that..don't give up. Have you tried contract-to-hire jobs?
The only real students attending ITT Tech are the ones that shouldn't be there.
Articles
aka name
Global Moderator

Postby SheepToTheFleecing » March 30th, 2010, 3:38 am

Tell me more about these tats.
SheepToTheFleecing
Junior

Postby SheepToTheFleecing » May 1st, 2010, 4:22 am

downwardspiral wrote:My ITT Timeline:
May 2003: Bankruptcy court.

Tell me about your bankruptcy please. How much did it cost? Was it worth it? Did it get rid of your unsubsidized student loans? I would like to hear from anybody on this subject. Thanks. Stay strong.
SheepToTheFleecing
Junior

Return to Testimonials